The Facebook Supermarket for Life

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

My addiction to facebook is not due to the fact that I like to hear all the latest news and gossip of my friends...and their friends...and whoever else's files are not protected due to privacy. I firmly believe that I can get down home good resources from my facebook friends and their facebook friends. Nowadays status updates consists of houses for sale, or handiwork that needs to be done. It can be a real time classifieds ad.

So when I saw an old college friend post amazing photographs a few months back..I was insane jealous but also relieved that there was a chance I could talk to a real life person about the ins and outs of photography. I messaged Anna and asked her a few questions about photography lessons. She said her husband would be happy to meet with me. And that is when I first heard the name Nels Akerlund.

I googled him...was totally impressed by his work and was even more relieved to hear that he went to photography school. It's not that I feel that photography school is necessary for a career...but it is refreshing to know that Nels was once a student and had teachers who taught him...therefore, I could pray that he would be able to remember techniques on how to manage an overconfident, underskilled student such as myself.

I was right. Nels is incredible. We meet twice a month for about an hour. He is not only a patient and funny guy...his critiques are spot on and heartfelt..like a good friend who tells you that you have something stuck in your teeth...but assures you that you STILL look good. In our meetings, I have learned something very important about myself. I mean, I knew that I am sensitive to criticism..sheesh who truly isn't. But when I would e mail Nels my images from my assignments, as i pressed the ENTER key on my Macbook, I felt downright fragile. Lucky for me Nels has a way to tell me the good and the bad and the ugly and still makes me feel like I am on the right path. He commands me to take my time and prepare for the shot. He reminds me to look at the image I just captured before I get all snap happy. He assures me to be proud of my first edition Canon Rebel DSLR, because a camera does not make a photographer.
The following pictures are two that I am extremely proud of. Because a few months ago, I had no idea how to produce an image like this... and now I do. And that gets me even closer to being a photographer with a capital P.

0 comments:

Post a Comment